With the appropriate care, your teeth that have had endodontic treatment will last as long as other natural teeth. Yet, a tooth that has received treatment may fail to heal or pain may continue to exist. Sometimes, the pain may occur months or years after treatment. If so, Endodontic Retreatment may be needed.
Improper healing may be caused by:
- Curved or narrow canals that were not treated during the initial treatment.
- Complicated canals that went undetected during the initial treatment.
- The crown or restoration was not placed within the appropriate amount of time following the procedure.
- The crown or restoration that did not prevent saliva from contaminating the inside of the tooth.
Root Material Placed
In some cases, new problems can influence a tooth that was successfully treated:
- New decay can expose a root canal filling material, causing infection.
- A cracked or loose filling or crown can expose the tooth to new infection.
Once retreatment has been selected as a solution to your problem, the doctors will reopen your tooth to gain access to the root canal filling material. This restorative material will be removed to enable access to the root canal. The doctors will now clean your canals and carefully examine the inside of the problematic tooth. Once cleaned, the doctors will fill and seal the canals and place a temporary filling in the tooth.
At this point, you will need to return to your dentist as soon as possible in order to have a new crown or restoration placed on the tooth to restore full functionality.
Patient Review By Fred V
Professional work and current equipment, good explanations
- Fred V
Patient Review By Rick B
I would highly recommend Dr. Grace Wu. She is obviously an expert in her field and highly skilled in providing the best patient care. In my particular case, a back tooth which had a previous root canal treatment over 10 years ago, was having issues including infection at the top of the root. Dr Wu was able to save the tooth and strengthen it as well. I was very grateful for her expertise, care and follow up.
- Rick B
Patient Review By Marco A
I am writing this review one day after surgery. I am feeling great and have no pain and am already back in the office with meetings and calls. This is my second time seeing Dr. Wu and will keep coming back if needed. The entire staff was friendly and professional.
- Marco A